Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Out of town until September 20

I'm headed out of town again for work... this time to West Palm Beach, FL. I'm not thrilled to be traveling back into Florida during hurricane season, but since we've been given the all clear to proceed for this trip - I don't have much of a choice. At this point I'm just hoping for a smooth flight in and out with few/no delays!


The photo here is my second pin for the face swap - I named her Lemon Drop. This is another face crafted by Jen Martin at Graphix Outpost. Isn't she a ray of sunshine? Yellow is not the first color I reach for when I'm beading, but I am usually pleased with the results when I have used it. This time is no exception.

The face cab is glued down to stiffened felt. I added the yellow glass disk beads - securing them with a drop bead. It is backed with mustard colored ultrasuede and closed with a raw edge stitch using size 8/0 yellow lined beads and a variation of a pointed edge stitch using size 11/0 transparent yellow and size 15/0 blue/violet beads.

The vast majority of the edge stitches I use on cabs (or any piece where I attach a front and back piece) can be found in "Beading with Cabochons" by Jamie Cloud Eakin. That book has been a tremendous help for me, it has clear instructions and lots of photos.



Have a great week... I'll see you when I get back!

10 comments:

*~tabby~* crooked heart art said...

hi grace
ahhh she is a beautiful piece :)
have a safe journey-hurry home soon
enjoy your day'
tammy

abeadlady said...

Great pin, Grace! Don't you love Jamie's book? So much inspiration.

Arline

Timaree said...

I've got that book too. It's great. Love your yellow pin. Yellow is such a happy color but a lot of people get overwhelmed when using the brighter side of it. I love yellow just about any old way.

beadbabe49 said...

I adore her, grace! and I love that book too for edgings...fab!
I'll send some good traveling beams your way...

Pursuing Art... said...

Great pin Grace and you gave her the perfect name! Love Jamie's book too...loaded with info and beautiful pictures!

Have a safe trip!!!

~Lisa ;-)

The Lone Beader® said...

What a happy pin!

KV said...

A definite ray of sunshine there in that face pin!

Travel safely and be well . . .


Kathy V in NM

Padparadscha said...

Have a safe trip, Grace !

I love this little drop of sunshine !

girlgonethreadwild said...

I'm head over CLEATS in LOVE with this yeller beauty!

Have a safe trip!

My, you do travel A LOT with yur job! don'tchoo?
~Monica

GraceBeading said...

Hi Friends...

Thanks for the kind words! Nice to see so many folks that have the same book too - I find myself reaching for that one time and time again.

Ack... Monica - too much traveling of late I'm sorry to say - it takes a lot for me to say THAT!

Leaves of Grass

This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body - Walt Whitman