Wednesday, February 03, 2010

2008-09 Bead Journal Project, almost there...



I managed to get all the pieces sewn together and since I do not sew, it was quite a feat for me. Actually, a more accurate statement is that I do not know how to use a sewing machine. I can sew on buttons, manage a hem and do small mending repairs. But "real" sewing is beyond my grasp at this point. Some day... maybe I will learn, not today though!



This all started as a simple idea of combining 2 of my favorite things - heart shapes and beads. Next task was to figure out how to get a piece of a heart in every square while leaving it relatively simple to line up once all the squares were beaded. Setting it up was the easiest part! Up until the last stitch, I was never sure if everything would line up correctly and while it is not perfect, it is close enough for me.



Each piece was sewn together by hand, using at least a million tiny little stitches, okay that might be a slight exaggeration, but it sure felt like a million. I am happy with the results though. Next and final task is getting it matted and framed. Still not sure how I will accomplish that, but have a few ideas. Once it is complete, it will go up on my office wall.

A big thank you - to my friends and all of the other BJP participants that regularly stop in here to check on my progress and offer support and encouragement. I appreciate it so very much. For those of you that were eager to see what the lines meant - I hope you are not disappointed. It is rather simple after all.



The finished size - measuring just to the beaded edge is 9 inches tall by 12 inches wide. And as always - with attempting to photograph beads, I am not able to adequately capture the sparkle with my camera, not even close. In the end, I am very pleased with it. I tried something new and that was my goal for the project this round.

If you want to see the individual pieces as I finished them with further descriptions and larger photos - look over at the right side of my blog and find the button for 2008 Bead Journal Project Member. Directly beneath that button is a link to see all the pieces at once.

And for those that like to see the back, here you go - I need to trim up some of those edges and see if I can get it to lay a little flatter.



All photos are clickable for a larger view.

17 comments:

KV said...

I love the way this turned out! All along I thought the lines might represent a view through a window, so you surprised me.

Very lovely work, dear Grace!


Kathy V in NM

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

You know Grace, each piece individually is beautiful, but somehow with them all put together with the heart as the focal, the squares are even more impressive. I love it that each piece is so diverse, yet the are brought together by the hearts. Cool!!

Whats the plan for this year?

Marty S said...

Quite fabulous! And inspired! Congratulations on finishing.
Marty S
Crackpot Beader

kaiteM said...

You have certainly achieved a lot and done it so well, especially for someone who can't use a sewing machine. Well done, it's looking beautiful. Kaite from yarngarden

Timaree said...

I had a feeling it would be a heart! This turned out great and it went together quite well. That worry about it all coming together has kept me from trying one like this. Framing it is a great choice for a finish.

Quilter Kathy said...

It is awesome Grace! It reminds me of a family...each part is so unique and special, and together, it's a miracle!
You must feel so incredible at finishing this masterpiece! Congratulations!

Cat said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!

GraceBeading said...

Thanks friends! Carol - if you haven't already, you can see my plan for the next year in my most recent post. Timaree - DO IT! Whatever "it" is. I know you'll succeed, you do such neat stuff! Kathy, your comments makes my heart soar - I appreciate it.

I appreciate all the comments and really enjoy seeing new faces here. Thanks again!

Robin said...

Oh Grace... what can be said here... I guess Kathy found the right word... masterpiece! I is!!! You did so well with your millions of little hand stitches sewing it all together. BRAVO! And like Carol says, each piece stands alone, yet together they have such a life force. I'm in awe!!!!

Robin A.

PS. The center heart is especially lovely!

Magpie Sue said...

Wow, that turned out very cool. You have a great mind for long term thinking (if you know what I mean). I tend to have a very short-term view of things.

I wonder if you can use an iron to flatten those seams on the back? I would press them open if it were me. Start by going all in one direction, say press all the vertical seams open first, and then finish by pressing the horizontal seams open. Depending on what happened at the corners of the squares that is. If those are cotton fabrics you will need some heat and maybe steam to get them to stay. You may want to use a press cloth to protect the threads holding your beads on though.

It's going to be fantastic when framed!

Winter Wanderings said...

This work is astounding! I missed it's progression as it began, square by square (I'm on BJP2 group2, or More08). Great job! I look forward to what you create this year!

Meanwhile, I am busily beading and playing catchup as well ....

Lynn said...

So inspiring :) I could stare at it for hours. I'm sure in person it is beyond amazing! It's going to look great framed.

~Lynn

*~tabby~* crooked heart art said...

this is fantastic grace!
beautiful work i love it
i have yet to do bjp ahh maybe one of these years
thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us as always
x's & o's

Ellen said...

Just lovely Grace - such a clever way to display your year's work!! Congratulations on your sewing skills too!

Pursuing Art... said...

Oh, Grace, even with the million little stitches, you did a beautiful job! It looks fantastic and I just love it! I wondered all along if it was a heart and it made me smile to see it was. It is such a treasure and will look great when framed.

And the cost to frame one piece is so much more reasonable than three or four frames too.

It's so cool!!! ;-)

elliekd said...

It looks amazing! I can't believe you have finished it. I would never have enough patience!

Charlie said...

AMAZING details and a lot of work. Thanks for visiting me during the OWH/OWH bloghop - my team and I were very surprised to receive all these lovely comments. CharlieDK from OSH

Leaves of Grass

This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body - Walt Whitman