Monday, August 04, 2008

Are you thinking pink?

When it comes to dolls, I have thought of little else than our own Lady Love Squared. I recently got my hands on my own copy of Art Doll Quarterly and saw the Lady up close and personal, the photos as well as the article are FANTASTIC! I've mailed off my donation for chances to win the lady. I can't imagine that I'd be lucky enough to win her, although I can dream... right?



After a dry spell of not much beading, I have had a burst of creative energy. One of the items I put together is a runner up item for the Pink Artist drawing. It is a colorful little pin, I started with a beautiful dichroic piece by Mango Tango, glued it to a piece of pellon, and started beading around it. The glass is 3 layers, so I opted for a stacked stitch around the edge rather than peyote. The stack consists of an olive colored size 8/0 bead followed by a magenta colored size 11/0 true cut and a size 15/0 light olive bead. I added an ultrasuede backing, sewing it to the base with more of the size 8/0 olive beads. It is finished off with a pointed edge stitch (found in the book - Beaded Cabochons by Jamie Cloud Eakin) using the magenta size 11/0 true cuts and a size 15/0 bright blue bead. Lots of color and sparkle packed into a small 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 square.

So... have you purchased YOUR chances to win?

6 comments:

abeadlady said...

Great pin, Grace. What a nice addition to the prize pool. There are going to be some lucky people in that drawing.
Isn't the article in ADQ wonderful? I heard we also got a mention in Artful Blogging. Too cool.
Arline

Timaree said...

Beautiful pin. You do wonderful bead work. No, I haven't bought my tickets yet. I've got the link on both my blogs now. Guess I'd better get over for tickets.

Did you see that Dot discontinued her blog? I tried to see her etsy shop but if I got it right, it's empty too. It is Dotsdolls, isn't it?

KV said...

It is so good to see you creating beautiful things and posting about them, too. Finally snagged a copy of Art Doll Quarterly today and was blown away by the great job they did on the article.


Kathy V in NM

Pursuing Art... said...

Wasn't the debut of 'Love Squared' in ADQ outrageous! The photographs were outstanding and the article was beautifully written! I haven't sent off my donation yet but it certainly is on my to do list! I can't imagine being lucky enough to win her either...but we can dream!!! ;-)

Your pin for the PA drawing is just beautiful! Someone is going to be a very lucky winner of your pin Grace!

~Lisa ;-)

Jackie (Tillie's Daughter) said...

What a lovely pin -- someone will be very pleased to receive it. Your beading is just fantastic.

GraceBeading said...

Hi all... glad you like the pin.

I agree Arline - some lucky people indeed, there is some great stuff up for grabs! The article in ADQ is wonderful. I did find a copy of Artful Blogging as well, they said some really nice things about the project.

Freebird - I did see Dottie closed her blog, it's sad to see it happen, but I understand how one might feel they need space. Dot has so many admirers and a full time job, it can be a tricky balance at times. Her Etsy store is still open - last time I checked anyway. I hope she continues to create!

KV, Lisa, Jackie - thank you all so much

Leaves of Grass

This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body - Walt Whitman