Saturday, September 29, 2007

A trade



Earlier this year I spent some time in Lucky Fork - a beautiful, somewhat remote location situated along the Cumberland Plateau in the Appalachian foothills of eastern Kentucky. I wrote about it and posted pictures last May, if you are interested you can see re-read and see the photos here.

On my last trip there I met a couple that lived across the road from where I was staying. The wife, Dawn is talented in many crafts and has a wonderful outdoor area where she displays many of her creations - I only wish I had taken a photo. There were yard signs, wind chimes, bird feeders, dream catchers, different types of gourd art, painted rocks among other things - and with the exception of a very few items, she makes all art using found objects.



I recently received one of her dragon gourds, I just love it! In addition to that she sent miniature furniture which her husband makes. They will make perfect doll displays. While I was in Kentucky - I gave her Jilly Berry as a trade. I love trades!


For size comparison - I have added a 6 inch tube of beads.

4 comments:

girlgonethreadwild said...

Oh Grace that gourd art is a true treasure... and I know you will put the mini furn. to good use! What a great post... happy Fall!

Veleta (Sammy) said...

Grace... what a great trade... Trades are the greatest! If it wasn't for trades, I wouldn't nearly have the art of others in my home!

GraceBeading said...

Thanks friends...

*~tabby~* crooked heart art said...

wow grace that gourd is wonderful and the tiny furniture nothing but lovely and fun~hope to see one of your creations sitting and relaxing on it soon:)

Leaves of Grass

This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body - Walt Whitman