Monday, July 30, 2007

This cab's for you...


In the not too distant past, I participated in a cab swap on one of the bead forums I frequent through Delphi. In this swap, each participant mailed in and received back 4 cabs with seeds beads to match/compliment.

I do not consider myself a proficient cab beader, so I was excited to participate in this swap and learn more about beading around cabs. I worked on these this weekend and had such a good time. They are all brooches. I had not beaded a brooch in quite some time and it wasn't until glue was in place on one of the finished cabs that I remembered the pin back is glued on BEFORE the ultra suede is attached to the back. I didn't forget on the 3 remaining cabs. My goal is to work up to beaded a cab as a pendant with a matching beaded necklace.

While beading these, I frequently referred to the book 'Beading with Cabochons' by Jamie Cloud Eakin - it proved to be extremely helpful.

This cab is polymer clay and was made by Melissa Bell, I used peyote stitch as the bezel and a pointed edge. Dimensions: 2 inches



This glass cab came to me from AJ Reardon. The bezel is peyote stitch and edge is branch fringe. Dimensions: 3 tall; 2 1/2 inches wide



Next is a glass cab from Katy Welch, it has a standard bezel with a pointed edge. Dimensions: 2 inches tall and 1 1/2 inches wide



And last is a polymer clay (I think?) cab made by Celia Martin. The bezel is bead-raised with a joined pointed edge. Dimensions: 2 inches tall and 1 inch wide


Ladies - if you read this and notice I have made any errors in my description, or if you have links you'd like to provide, please let me know.

Thanks for a great swap!

2 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

These are beautiful! I want to improve my skills in this technique and enjoyed seeing your projects.

GraceBeading said...

Hi Kathy.. thanks for stopping by, glad you like them! I hope to bead up a few more in a Christmas theme.

Leaves of Grass

This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body - Walt Whitman