Sunday, May 20, 2007

My beading hearts...


What started out as a beaded sampler to practice stitches became valentine's for my grandkids last year. I hadn't done much in the way of flat bead embroidery and wanted to give it a whirl. I started with some blue material with no particular plan in mind other than to practice stitches from a book I had recently purchased, "Beaded Embellishment" by Amy C. Clarke and Robin Atkins. I enjoyed the way the flat work felt in my hands, certainly different than a doll, but equally pleasing.

I had very little beading completed on it when my granddaughter spied it while visiting and decided she HAD to have it. At the time blue was her favorite color and since it was in January I thought I'd go ahead and turn it into a heart shape and give it to her for Valentine's day.

There was no way I could make one for my granddaughter and not for my grandson... so once I finished the blue heart I started on the green. As things go with learning something new, it seems I worked out what did and didn't work for me on the first heart (such as design and finishing techniques) and was much more comfortable on the second one. With the green heart I added a little fiberfil stuffing and liked it much better than a completely flat look.

Both of the grandkids love their hearts and proudly display them on their bedroom walls. Is there any better compliment?

No comments:

Leaves of Grass

This is what you shall do: Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body - Walt Whitman